It is paramount that I create designs that have visual impact and beauty, but equally I take care to tread as lightly on the earth as I can; close to zero use of single-use plastics, a good composting system, working with caring wholesalers, and planting a tree in the National Forest on behalf of every couple I work with.
I recently wrote up a pledge to the earth and am sharing it with you here. I am proud to make the effort to work like this, but also appreciate the value of accountability! So ask me about my ethics when we meet and I’ll always give you an honest answer.
- all green waste I produce goes to local composting systems, either at our family allotment or the council’s green waste provision.
- I do not use florist’s foam – an excellent example of carcinogenic, toxic, single use plastic that breaks up into non-biodegradable micro plastics that at best ends up in landfill.
- everything I provide for your wedding can be composted, recycled, reused, or kept for memory’s sake.
- I source most of my fresh flowers through South East Flowers, a wholesaler based in Ashford, Kent. I have complete faith in Chris and Lisa who provide me with advice, make suggestions, and source any number of incredible varieties from around the world. Chris is also an ambassador for Florverde, an independent social and environmental team who work with flower growers, agronomists, NGOs, and government officials to develop, promote and implement responsible codes of conduct, standards, and sustainable agricultural practices around the world.
- I keep the use of single-use plastics to an absolute minimum. There are many plastic products within the floristry industry, including ribbons, cellophane, and many other decorations and mechanics. With a couple of exceptions, any plastics used within my designs can be returned to me for reuse or kept for reuse by the wedding party.
- I forage responsibly for much of the foliage used in my designs. Not only is this enjoyable for me as I love being surrounded by nature, it also reduces my business’s carbon footprint and keeps me in touch with what is in season amongst the hedgerows and over the Downs.
- From this year, I am sponsoring trees to be planted in the National Forest for every couple whose event, party or wedding I’ve flowered. This helps correct the balance and pays back to the world and our environment, which is invaluable to me.
I passionately believe we all have a role to play in sustaining and nurturing our planet, and your wedding day, celebration or event can actively support and promote the world’s health. If you’d like to discuss your event with me then please get in touch!